What do you do?
Stay in a Cambridge College with accommodation and meals provided and experience life as a university student! Enjoy a variety of masterclasses in a particular subject given by Cambridge University researchers, get information about applying to Cambridge, meet current students and have the chance to look around the city. There are also lots of social activities to give you a taste of student life. The Colleges then provide continuing support during the following school year and there is a follow-up Summer School at the end of Year 12.
Subject streams for 2019 are: English, History, Law, Social Sciences, BioChem (human/medical), BioChem (non-medical), Mathematics and Physical Sciences. Students apply for a place on one subject stream.
How much does it cost?
The whole summer school is free of charge (including meals and accommodation), with the exception of travel to and from Cambridge. Limited travel bursaries may be available for those who require them.
Who can apply?
If you meet all of the following criteria, you are eligible to apply for a place on the LPN summer school:
- You are in Year 11 (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) or S4 (Scotland) and are about to take your GCSEs or National 5s at a school that does not charge fees.
- You are going on to study academic qualifications in Sixth Form, either at school or college that does not charge fees.
- You live in an area of low participation to higher education. To explain this a bit further, we use the POLAR classification and we only accept applications from students who live in quintile 1 or 2 areas. We encourage students to self-select using this online postcode checker tool. When you put your postcode into the tool, check the 'POLAR4 young participation quintile' (the first data column on the left).
- You are on target to receive a majority of 7s or 8s (or equivalent) at GCSE (or equivalent).
- You can provide the name and email address of a teacher who can support your application.
How do I apply?
Fill in the online application form here. You will also need to ask your teacher to complete a reference for you – they will be contacted when you application is received to ask for the reference. The deadline for applications is 21 May 2019. Your application will be reviewed after this date and you will be informed of the result in June.
This is a collaborative programme run jointly by Christ’s, Murray Edwards, and Sidney Sussex Colleges. If you have any questions about the programme please get in touch by e-mailing email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find out more at https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/lpn-summer-school and at https://www.sid.cam.ac.uk/admiss/ugrad/visit.