This year Peterhouse will be holding the Year 12 Archaeology Summer School, in collaboration with the Department of Archaeology, from Monday 5th August to Friday 9th August.
Students will stay in Peterhouse for four nights, and the summer school will act as an exciting opportunity to discover both the academic and practical basis of Archaeology as a University subject at Cambridge. It will include sample lectures and seminars, workshops, museum activities and hands-on archaeology.
Topics will reflect the breadth of the Cambridge Archaeology degree, which also offers tracks in Egyptology, Assyriology, and Biological Anthropology. There will also be guidance on admissions and interviews, and chance for students to explore the city of Cambridge for themselves.
As a subject which uniquely spans the Arts and the Sciences, Archaeology is suitable for students with a broad range of A-level subjects. Participants are not required to be doing Archaeology A level, and the content of the summer school will presume no previous knowledge.
There is no charge for attending the summer school, but applicants must meet the following criteria:
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- be in year 12 or equivalent
- have achieved at least 5 A/A*s at GCSE or equivalent, and be on track for achieving the grades to make a competitive application to Cambridge
Priority will be given to applicants who meet the following criteria, though this is not a prerequisite to applying:
- from the state maintained sector, particularly where they attend schools or colleges with a low overall A-level, Higher/Advanced Higher (or equivalent) point score and/or schools or colleges with low progression to higher education
- the first generation in their family to attend university -eligible for free school meals and/or pupil premium
- who are (or have been) looked after, accommodated or in care who will only need to meet the study year and academic requirements.
Please note that we will not accept applications to the summer school from students who have already applied to university.
*Applications are now OPEN*
Please complete the application form here.
You will also have to arrange for two teachers or equivalent (e.g. a museum curator; not a parent) to each send a short academic reference commenting on your academic ability and your intellectual enthusiasm for Archaeology, Egyptology, Assyriology and/or Biological Anthropology to email@example.com. The reference should be sent as a Word or pdf attachment.
Both the form and the references must be sent by the deadline of 17:00 (UK Time) 14 June, 2019.
Successful applicants will be notified of their place on the summer school by week beginning 24 June, 2019.